Walmart has announced a new relationship with Epic, the world’s most extensively used and comprehensive health information system, to help consumers live better lives. Walmart Health will connect patients, healthcare providers, insurance carriers, and other stakeholders through a single, unified system that will improve communication, personalization, and information exchange between healthcare professionals and patients via a patient portal.
- Implementation: Epic’s platform will initially be implemented in four new Walmart Health Centers debuting in Florida in early 2022, and will support all of Walmart’s health and wellness lines of business. Epic is utilized by over 2,000 hospitals and 45,000 clinics, including the majority of the top-ranked hospitals and medical schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Best experiences: “Our vision to provide best in class healthcare, anywhere, anytime includes a seamless experience for our customers, healthcare professional partners, and associates. Leveraging best-in-class partners like Epic and their technology platform will assist us in providing a unified health record across care settings, geographies, and multiple sources of health data,” said Dr. Cheryl Pegus, executive vice president, Walmart Health & Wellness.
- Stored records: Currently, the majority of the population in the United States has their medical records stored in an Epic system. On their phone or computer, Epic’s web portal allows patients to securely access their health information, contact their clinicians, make appointments, and pay bills.
- Vision: “We’re excited to power Walmart’s vision to bring comprehensive, accessible healthcare to patients across the country,” said Alan Hutchison, vice president of population health at Epic. “Across medical, dental, and virtual care, patients will have a unified experience—both within Walmart Health clinics and as they move across the nation’s healthcare ecosystem. Providers will have new ways to collaborate with patients, payers, and each other more effectively, so they can work cooperatively to manage a patient’s care journey.”
- Visits: Walmart Inc. helps people all over the world save money and live better – in stores, online, and on their mobile devices – at any time and from anywhere. Approximately 220 million customers and members visit approximately 10,500 stores and clubs across 48 banners in 24 countries, as well as eCommerce websites, every week. Walmart employs roughly 2.3 million workers worldwide, with revenue of $559 billion in the fiscal year 2021. Walmart remains a market leader in terms of sustainability, corporate philanthropy, and job opportunities.