Cerner, an EHR vendor, has announced that David Feinberg, MD, MBA, has been named president and CEO by its board of directors, beginning October 1. Feinberg was previously the Vice President of Google Health. Feinberg succeeds Brent Shafer, who announced his intention to step down as chairman and CEO earlier this year. Feinberg will join the board of directors as a member.
- A veteran: Feinberg, a 25-year industry veteran, joins Cerner after serving as Vice President of Google Health since 2019. He oversaw Google’s global health initiatives, bringing together stakeholders to use artificial intelligence (AI), product knowledge, and hardware to address some of healthcare’s most pressing issues via health IT.
- Extensive search: “Over the past few months, our Board conducted an extensive search for a CEO candidate with the expertise and ability to effectively capitalize on the opportunities in the market we serve,” Mitch Daniels, member of the Cerner board and chair of the Nominating, Governance and Public Policy Committee said in a press release.
- Previous engagements: Prior to Google, Feinberg served as president and CEO of Geisinger Health, a physician-led health system. At Geisinger, Feinberg pushed the use of new platforms and tools. This included the adoption of a health IT system called a Unified Data Architecture that allowed the organization to integrate big data into existing data analytics and management systems.
- High track: “With his exceptional track record of leading and innovating programs to improve patient care, technology experience, and industry expertise, we believe Dr. Feinberg is the ideal CEO to lead Cerner in its next chapter of growth and success,” Daniels continued. Feinberg also introduced programs and services to put a greater focus on precision medicine during his time at Geisinger.
- Honors: “I am honored to join Cerner and look forward to working closely with Cerner’s talented associates as we continue to profitably grow the business by driving global healthcare transformation,” Dr. Feinberg said. “I am thrilled to join a company that is so uniquely well-positioned to provide technology solutions that enable clinicians to take better care of patients while driving better clinical, operational, and financial outcomes for organizations of all sizes.”